I suggest you ...

Buy a case

Could i just say, buy a case and build my own inside? About how much would that cost?

43 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    MannyManny shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →
    started  ·  Brenden MacalusoAdminBrenden Macaluso (Principal, Recompute) responded  · 

In regards to just buying a Recomptue case… Yes you can buy just the case, which includes the power supply and USB ports. The cost is $160 + shipping. You need to supply a MATX motherboard, RAM, Processor and 2.5" SATA hard drive. If you would like to order one email us directly at Info@recomputepc.com and put case purchase in the subject line and we will invoice you directly.

Originally we offered just the case kit and we did not sell very many. Lots of folks have inquired about getting a case with out a power supply, however, that is not possible as the power supply we use is specific to the case design and can not be substituted out with any other model. In regards to a template or pattern set to cut your own Recomputes, that is possible but very unpractical. Let me explain, to most people all cardboard seems the same, just like are tires are black and round. However there are hundreds of cardboard types. If one were to cut out patterns from randomly found cardboard, they would find a high level of inconsistency between the pieces. Additionally the sizes of the hardware chambers are directly related to the thickness of the cardboard. So it is difficult to calculate the number of layers and pattern types when each part is cut from a different grade of corrugated. Additionally the amount of labor and time needed to cut out each piece along with the level of consistency between each piece by hand would take more time than you might think. I know I built the original proofs that way. The cost savings are not worth the time and inconstancy in build quality. It took over a year in trial and error in manufacturing to get the cases as consistent as possible.

6 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • rileyriley commented  · 

That is a great explanation of the process and your reasoning in not selling the templates. Seems to me if people want to get that basic into the DIY they are free to do so and design their own case.
        Thanks for being clear.

• heefheef commented  · 

yea. Me one too! how about it? Ok, maybe that's not exactly a planet saving plan, what with shipping packing material, and all. How about selling templates to cut our own materials?
        Template...template...template... chat with me gang! template...template

• sopclodsopclod commented  · 

I would like just the case also.

• MacGugesMacGuges commented  · 

I, too, am intrigued by the Recompute case concept, but I prefer to assemble my own computers with parts I've selected.

• AnonymousAnonymous commented  · 

I would like to purchase the case only.

Feedback and Knowledge Base